Weller Library Rules of Behavior
The Library Commission has firmly resolved that the patrons of Weller Library have the right to use library materials and services without being disturbed or impeded by others; that patrons and staff have the right to a safe environment and to materials and facilities in good condition. All patrons are expected to observe and respect the rights of other library users and staff.
On the premises of Weller Library, federal, state, and local laws and ordinances are applicable, including those related to “Public Order” and “Criminal Mischief” (NYS Penal Law, Arts. 260 & 263), Sexual Harassment” (NYS Executive Law: Human Rights Law, Art. 15) and “Injuries to Properties” (NYS Education Law, Art. 264).
Accordingly, no person shall engage in violent behavior; make unreasonable noise; use abusive or obscene language; intimidate; physically or sexually harass others; obstruct pedestrian traffic; loiter; steal or damage library property; gamble; litter; or create a hazardous or offensive condition by any act that serves no legitimate purpose.
The library requires that patrons and staff maintain an environment conducive to study. All people on library premises are expected to be engaged in suitable educational, informational, or cultural activity. Conversation should be conducted as quietly as possible and be generally limited to library-oriented activities.
Parents and legal guardians are responsible for their children’s behavior at the library and their children’s use of all library resources; including print, audio, video, and electronic resources.
All library users must abide by additional policies contained in the library’s Internet Use Policy.
Rules of Conduct for Library Users
- A person cannot interfere with another person’s use of the library.
- A person cannot interfere with a library staff member’s performance of her/his duties.
- A person cannot engage in disruptive activity. (e.g.: loud or persistent talking, moving between or crowding around computers, rude or abusive language, intimidation, harassment.
- Reasonable quiet must be maintained at all times
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the library.
- No weapons of any nature can be brought onto the library premises.
- Library privileges may be suspended when a rule is violated or cancelled when rule is broken.
These rules may be revised at the discretion of the library at any time.